4 Dec 2012

New Guiding Challenges

Em and I are very very chuffed at the moment, we have been appointed as Guiding District Commissioners for our local area.  We have ummmed and ahhhd about putting our names forward but we have bitten the bullet and done it.  The County and Division Commissioners are in full support so it is all settled!

We are really looking forward to and relishing the challenges ahead. Our District has been without a Commissioner for two years now so we face an uphill struggle as it has become very fractured.  Our first task will be to organise a Thinking Day Service next February, so if you have any suggestions let us know!  In the mean time, for those who are Guiders or any sort of volunteer, I know you will relate to this....

I went along to Brownies just to help them out one day,
I must have done a decent job as I was asked to stay,
I really didn't have the time to do the job just right,
But the Guiders all assured me that it only took one night.

Chorus: That's the reason I'm a Guider (3 times)
'cos the Guiders all assured me that it only took one night!

The District meeting came along and I was asked to go,
It's sad to say the treasurer was ill and didn't show,
So I was asked to take the job and I replied I might,
As the others all assured me it would only take one night.

One day the new Commissioner was putting up a tent,
She said with great relief to me "My Dear, you're heaven sent,
I need a Camp Adviser and I know your time is right,
And I really do assure you that it only takes one night".

The staff at County came to ask if I would give a hand,
To help them at the AGM and organise the band.
I said I really couldn't and I put up quite a fight,
But then they went and told me that it only took one night.

I've spent so long in uniform my blood is navy blue,
My friends and family think I'm mad, and maybe so do you!
It keeps me out of mischief - I'd complain with all my might
If my many jobs in Guiding really only took one night!

2 comments:

Kelloggs Ville said...

our Midlands Region Commissioner sung this to us at our county meal this year. It did make us laugh. Good luck. Patience and tact, m'dear, patience and tact - the core skils for a commissioner!

Anonymous said...

simply stopping by to say hi